Species: inshore brackish
Redfish love charlies of all kinds, and this pattern by Barry Dauphin of Lafayette is a cousin to the charlie, but without the wing. The secret to the flies success, and to its name, is the shiny tail. Barry says the tail on the Shiny Fon-Fon is that little extra, or lagniappe, that gets Mr. Redfish on the fly like a hungry Cajun on french bread!
- Mustad 34007 hook size 2
- Dyed yellow grizzly hackle feather
- Large bead chain eyes
- Pink chenille
- Silver krystal flash
- Silver flashabou, narrow in width
- Tie in eyes and wrap thread toward bend of hook.
- Tie in 50/50 mix of krystal and flashabou for tail, length of tail should be length of hook
- Tie in the hackle feather at bend, followed by the chenille.
- Wrap the chenille toward the front, covering the hook and tying off behind the bead eye.
- Palmer the feather towards the front, and tie off behind the bead eyes.
- For added durability, use epoxy or clear nail polish on the threads between the eye of the hook and the bead chain.eyes.